March 2022 Mystery Quilt
This Mystery Quilt is designed for all those lovely Layer Cakes you have that you don’t want to cut into tiny pieces! There are large pieces in this quilt designed to show off the prettiest fabrics in your Layer Cake.
The quilt pattern uses a Layer Cake (a collection of 10″ squares) and a little bit of yardage. The pattern is easy enough for an adventurous beginning quilter. So grab your favorite Layer Cake and join us!
The quilt is offered in two sizes: 48″ x 58″ (one Layer Cake) and 68″ x 78″ (two Layer Cakes–can be the same or complementary). Instructions will be for both sizes, with numbers of pieces to cut/sew for the larger size given in parentheses. Fabric with a directional print will work for this project!
- One Layer Cake (at least 40 pieces; 10″ squares) or equivalent in scraps for the smaller size; two Layer Cakes for the larger size
- Coordinating yardage: 1 yard for the smaller quilt; 1-1/2 yards for the larger quilt . Note: The yardage should not be a fabric contained in the Layer Cake. It should be something that coordinates with the fabrics in the Layer Cake.
- Backing fabric: 3-1/4 yards for smaller size; 4-1/2 yards for the larger size.
- 3/4 yard binding fabric
There are no special rulers or other tools required.
- The first clue will be sent at 8:00 AM (US Eastern time) on Monday, March 28.
- Subsequent clues will be sent every Monday at the same time.
- There are 4 clues total.
- After the mystery is over, you will be sent a complete PDF version of the pattern (retail value: $20).