February 2021 Mystery Quilt
This Mystery Quilt uses a lot of half-square triangles. We’ll be using the Magic 8 Method to make them, but if you hate making them, this is probably not the mystery for you!
I made my version with three fabrics, plus a neutral. In my case, I chose blue, green, yellow, and white. However, you can make it with any colors, as long as they look nice together. I suggest you choose two dark value fabrics, one medium value, and a light value or neutral. You can even make it with scraps, if you want, although you may not be able to use the time-saving Magic 8 Method to make the half-square triangles unless you’re using fairly large scraps.
The blue, yellow, and white fabrics will be cut in 2-1/2″ or 3″ squares, and the green fabric will be cut larger (4-1/2″) so you can choose a larger print for the green but I’d recommend a medium or small print for the yellow, blue, and white fabrics. I used solid colors in my version.
Whether or not you join the Mystery, we invite you to join us in the FREE Facebook group.
The finished size of this quilt is 88″ x 100″
- Neutral: 3-3/4 Yards
- Dark green: 3/4 yard
- Blue: 1-3/4 yards
- Yellow: 2 yards
- Border fabric: 2-1/2 yards
- 7-1/2 yards backing fabric
- 3/4 yard binding fabric
I never expect or require you to purchase special rulers for my Mystery Quilts, but there are some I’ll be talking about in this Mystery that I recommend. If you want to order them, I’ve listed them below. But again, you do NOT need them. Regular quilting rulers will work just fine for this Mystery.
- Creative Grids Ultimate Flying Geese Template and Quilt Ruler [CGRDH4]: https://amzn.to/3q8kR4X
- Clearly Perfect Slotted Trimmers: https://amzn.to/3rHFHZh
- Creative Grids Square on Square 8″ Trim Tool Quilting Ruler Template [CGRJAW8]: https://amzn.to/2OpYZEn
If you like using Triangles on a Roll: https://amzn.to/3tKCM3W
- The first clue will be sent at 8:00 AM (US Eastern time) on Friday, February 12.
- Subsequent clues will be sent every Friday at the same time.
- There are 5 clues total.
- After the mystery is over, you will be sent a complete PDF version of the pattern (retail value: $10).