May 2021 Mystery Quilt
This Mystery Quilt uses a Layer Cake (a collection of 10″ squares) and yardage in two complementary colors. The pattern is easy enough for beginning quilters. Most of the units are squares, and there are no half-square triangles in this one.
So grab your favorite Layer Cake and join us!
Whether or not you join the Mystery, we invite you to join us in the FREE Facebook group.
The finished size of this quilt is 84″ x 100″
If you want to make it smaller, just make fewer of the units each week. If you want to make it bigger, you’ll need two Layer Cakes.
- One Layer Cake (at least 40 pieces; 10″ squares) or equivalent in scraps
- Yardage 1: 2-5/8 yard; this fabric will be used in the blocks and should coordinate well with the Layer Cake. A solid, tone-on-tone, or small or medium print works best. Do not choose a large print.
- Yardage 2: 3 yards. This is used for the border but also within the quilt. A large print might work, but I’d recommend a solid, tone-on-tone, or small or medium print.
- Note: The yardage should not be a fabric contained in the Layer Cake. It should be something that coordinates with the fabrics in the Layer Cake.
- 7-1/4 yards backing fabric
- 3/4 yard binding fabric
There are no special rulers or other tools required.
- The first clue will be sent at 8:00 AM (US Eastern time) on Monday, May 17.
- Subsequent clues will be sent every Monday at the same time.
- There are 5 clues total.
- After the mystery is over, you will be sent a complete PDF version of the pattern (retail value: $20).